I think these words of Jesus are the scariest I’ve ever heard:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
“On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
“And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness'” (Matt. 7:21–23).
Check out the résumé of these people to whom Jesus will refuse entrance into heaven:
- They claim that Jesus is their Lord, the One who rules their lives.
- They publicly teach about Jesus with passion and authority.
- They cast out demons in Jesus’ name (something I definitely haven’t done!).
- They do miracles—actual miracles—all in Jesus’ name.
Jesus says people will be shocked when He’ll ask, “Who are you? I never knew you.”News flash: hell is for good people, too. People like you; people like me.
Tell me, do you:
- Read your Bible?
- Volunteer at the soup kitchen?
- Tell people about Jesus?
- Rescue helpless animals?
- Go on mission trips?
- Help in the church nursery?
If so, you’re good enough to go to hell.