John Zmirak is my favorite writer on The Stream. Here’s his 4th of July post.
The Fourth of July is a time for celebration, but it’s also a time to recommit ourselves to champion those American principles, and to remember that those principles stand over against some very particular evils:
- Arbitrary seizure and use of private property by the state in the name of the “common good.”
- A corrupt bargain between the government and religion, with funds and favors flowing to the churches that toe the government line, and taxes and bans restricting the free exercise of religion.
- Government micromanagement of the economy, with politically connected companies exploiting their crony connections to legislators and restricting the freedom of commerce.
- Paternalistic government, which saw the common man as a hapless sheep, to be herded and sheared by elites.
- The concentration of power…
View original post 1,058 more words