Scripture reading: Psalm 24:1–10
Key verse: Psalm 31:19
Oh, how great is Your goodness,
Which You have laid up for those who fear You,
Which You have prepared for those who trust in You
In the presence of the sons of men!
Before you can truly praise God for who He is and what He is doing in your life, you must have the right attitudes. Here are the requirements for praise:
- Submission to God. When you submit your life to the Lord, you will not argue about the circumstances that He brings your way. If there is hardship, you will ask Him to take the difficulty and teach you what you need to learn from it.
- Repentance of known sin. You cannot truly praise God for the life He has given you and live in sin at the same time. Sin builds a barrier between the Lord and you that only His forgiveness can remove.
- A deep abiding love for the Lord.
- No evidence of a critical spirit. Criticism of others implies that you are right and they are wrong. God is strong enough to deal with the situations that trouble you. Keep your focus on Him.
- A willingness to take captive any thought of fear. Fear isolates and paralyzes. As God’s beloved, you have no reason to fear anyone or anything. The Lord is your strength, and He stands guard over your life.
- A desire to keep your life Christ centered by focusing on the Lord each day. No matter what kind of storm is building, God is in control.
- Christ-centered relationships with others. Praise is multiplied when shared with another person.
Lord, I submit my life to You today. I repent of my sin. Deliver me from a critical spirit and a spirit of fear. Help me keep my life centered on You. Set me free to worship You.