Scripture Reading: John 16:23–27
Key Verse: John 16:24
Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
We can be assured that God will answer our prayers in Jesus’ name because of our
- Association: After salvation, we have a new relationship with God through His Son Jesus. Our association with Christ makes it possible to have intimacy with God the Father.
- Access: We can come to God’s throne of grace with boldness and confidence. The reason is that Jesus’ death and resurrection blotted out our sin problem and cleared the way for us to have unhindered access to God the Father.
- Authority: Because of the shed blood of Jesus, believers are coheirs with Him (Romans 8:17), identified eternally with God’s holy Son. As such, we are delegated His authority and have the right to pray in Christ’s name. Jesus, who sits at the right hand of the Father, gives us this privilege.
- Agreement: To pray in Christ’s name, we not only must have His authority but also be in agreement with Him. If we ask for something outside of God’s will, we can be assured that it will not be granted. Our request must be in keeping with the character of God and the content of His Word. Essentially, when we ask something in Jesus’ name, we are saying that we believe Jesus Himself would make the same petition, were He in our situation.
- Assurance: Asking “in Jesus’ name” means praying in confidence. Jesus meant it when He said He would give us what we ask—as long as we are in association and agreement with Him.
Lord, thank You for answered prayer! I claim the access, authority, agreement, and assurance that makes this knowledge a reality.