(For a person who has received Christ, but has failed Him and now seeks forgiveness.)
1. Repent and Confess to God
The BIBLE says: “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
What must we do to be forgiven? __________ ________ ________.
What does God say He will do if we confess? _________ ________ ________.
To confess means to “agree” with God. I agree that I lied or cheated or was unkind or lost my temper. Be specific as you silently confess your sin to God. Sin takes us off God’s pathway to peace and joy. Confession puts us back on God’s pathway.
2. Determine to Forsake Any Known Sin in Your Life
The BIBLE says: “He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy” (Proverbs 28:13).
What happens if we cover our sins?
We ________ _______ ____________.
Following confession we must ______________ our sins.
3. Make Right Any Known Wrongs
It is important not only to confess and forsake sin, but also to make things right with anyone we may have wronged.
The BIBLE says: “I strive always to keep my conscience clear before God and man” (Acts 24:16, NIV).
4. Renewed Fellowship Will Be the Result
The BIBLE says: “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin” (1 John 1:7, NIV).
How do you know . . . I know because . . .
you are forgiven? God said it . . . in His Word.
you are cleansed? I believe it . . . in my heart.
you are restored? That settles it . . . in my mind.
After guiding the inquirer to spiritual renewal, share these follow-up steps:
1. Now that you are restored to fellowship with Christ, take a firm stand for Him. Tell someone about your decision.
2. Read and study God’s Word faithfully.
3. Pray every day.
4. Identify with a Bible-teaching church for worship, fellowship, and service.
5. We would like to send you our Bible study booklet, Your New Life In Christ Bible study, which will help you in your Christian life and future witness.
The Billy Graham Christian Worker’s Handbook; World Wide Publications, 1984, 1996