The Christian helper may have the privilege of praying with another Christian who wishes to rededicate his or her life to Christ. This rededication is usually sought by one who has already received Christ as Savior and Lord, but who seeks a deeper dimension in living for Him. The desire to rededicate one’s life could be based on any of several motivations:
• A lack of fulfillment, perhaps described as a feeling that “there must be more to the Christian life than I have experienced thus far.”
• A search for freedom from sin and guilt, because of carelessness in daily repentance and confession.
• A desire to better know the will of God for one’s life.
1. Permit the inquirer to express fully his or her motive in seeking rededication. The helper who is personally experienced in the will and ways of God will be able to ask relevant questions which will help to focus on the real issue.
2. Commend him or her! Our desire to commit our all to God pleases Him and is rewarded by Him (Hebrews 11:6; James 4:7–8).
3. If indicated, urge the inquirer to confess all known sin and to trust God for cleansing (Hebrews 9:14; 1 John 1:9).
4. Encourage total submission to God in an act of complete obedience, citing Romans 12:1–2 and Ephesians 5:15.
5. Encourage seeking the fullness of the Holy Spirit, citing Ephesians 5:18 and Ephesians 3:16–19.
6. Stress reading the Bible daily, studying and memorizing Scripture passages in a planned and disciplined way (Psalm 119:9, 11, and Colossians 3:16).
7. Focus on making prayer a daily exercise (1 Thessalonians 5:17; Ephesians 6:18–19).
8. Recommend that the inquirer be a witness for Christ on a daily basis:
A. In actions (Ephesians 2:10).
B. In word (Romans 1:16; Philippians 2:16).
9. Ask the inquirer to pray, making a commitment in the light of the above. Then, pray with the inquirer that his or her life may become a daily walk with Christ, resulting in opportunities for service.
1 Samuel 15:22
2 Corinthians 10:5
Philippians 1:6, 9–11
1 Thessalonians 5:23–24
1 Peter 2:11–12
The Billy Graham Christian Worker’s Handbook; World Wide Publications, 1984, 1996